Saturday, August 2, 2014

Kifaru: Rhino by Mary



















Poem: Kifaru 
Unfortunately, we didn't see a Rhino this year.
These photos are of the one we saw in 2011.


Rhino, Rhino How are you?
In the grasslands of the day
How frightening you are
Could you someday be a friend? 

In the tallest grass
Just to lay all day long
But nobody will ever come near you
Could you someday be a friend? 

So big and so strong
Wonder where you might come from?
Your sounds are so frightening
Could you someday be a friend? 

Your skin so hard
Where was it made from?
And your horns are so big
Where did you get all that from?

You eat the grass till they are over
You don’t ever invite other animals to your meals
How fast can you run?
Could your ever be a friend? 

So heavy like a mountain
If you are so heavy like that
How much will your child weigh?
Could you someday be a friend? 

Rhino, Rhino the huge animal
On the forest of the day
How frightening you are
Could you someday be a friend?

by Mary Waithera  

I have previously written about Mary here when I first saw this poem she wrote (as well as her perseverance in solving a Tangram puzzle with her eyes closed) . My father-in-law had given me a medal to give to a deserving student. I pulled Mary aside with her teacher, Stanley. I had decided not to make the medal into a show and wanted to present it privately. I had already told Mary a couple of times that I enjoyed her writing and that one day she could be an author or anything else she wanted to be with her grit and determination. I emphasized this again with humble little Mary and told her to put the medal in her pocket and then to bring it home. In her home (remember these kids live in tiny tin shed-sized shanties) I told her to hang it up and to always remember that she will do something important some day. Remember, that Mary is the little girl who got lost while we were in Kenya on our trip in 2011 and wandered alone in the slum alone for three days before being found. I am sure she will do great things with her life. 






Here is a photo of Mary taken of a poetry poster I brought to model poetry writing based on "The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams. I decided to write some sample poems using pictures I took from our trip in 2011. I was hoping to find some of the kids in the photos. Mary is holding this photo that shows her in the background of the photo.


And look, I almost caught Mary smiling in these photos. 
Although if you go to this link with the video of her 
doing Tangrams, you will see her smile!




2 comments:

  1. Just reading through the story of Mary from a link from your trip this year. This story is really an amazing story Jim....I didn't realize this was the little girl who was lost for 3 days when we were there in 2011. Love the story of reconnecting and meeting her mother in their home. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the poster I made last year with the poem about the singing kids, she is standing next to Sharrif, the boy your family sponsors (if I am correct).

    ReplyDelete